Friday, March 20

Practical English - Giving opinions

- Useful expressions to ask for and give opinions:
. What do you think about...?
. Do you agree with...? Yes, I agree - No, I don't agree
. Do you think this is a good idea?
. I think that... / In my opinion... / I believe...
. I think that's a great idea.
. Actually, I don't quite agree with...
. I'm not so sure about this.
. Yes, great idea!

- Useful phrases:
What's the matter?
It's not a big deal.
You're kidding / you're jocking.
That's really unfair!

- Semi-formal letters:
. Remember to write your address on the top right hand and the receiver's address on the top left hand (just over the salutation).
. If you don't know the person's name, you start Dear Sir / Madam, if you know the person's name, you start Dear Mr / Ms Smith
. Don't use contractions
. Finish the letter with I look forward to hearing from you / Hope to hear from you and Best wishes or Yours faithfully.
. Write your full name under your signature.

- To agree or disagree with short answers:
agree (+): me too / so + auxiliary + subject
agree (-): neither / nor + auxiliary + subject
disagree: subject + auxiliary

Examples:
My sister likes chocolate. So do I / I don't
My sister can't swim. Neither can I / I can