Friday, February 20

Extra considerations...

- to express habits:
usually + present simple: something you regularly do in the present
used to + infinitive: something you regularly did in the past, but you don't any more
get used to + -ing: something you are trying to do regularly

Examples: can you discern the difference among these sentences?
I usually go to the swimming pool on Mondays.
I used to go to the swimming pool on Mondays.
I am getting used to going to the swimming pool on Mondays.

- to express wishes and hopes:
I wish + past simple: to talk about a wish in the present -- I wish I passed the exam.
I wish + past perfect: to talk about a wish in the past -- I wish I had studied more.

If only + past simple: to talk about a wish in the present with emphasis --
If only I passed my exam!
If only + past perfect: to talk about a wish in the past wish emphasis -
If only I had studied more!

I hope + present simple / will: to express positive feelings
I hope you have a good journey.
I hope we'll see each other soon.